Tim and Laci work hard to make sure they seek out the best paddlers in the world to carry out their clinics. They want to make sure that each clinic not only provides their paddlers with a wealth of knowledge when it comes to technique and skills, but they also get a completely local experience. From the locations and the instructors they choose, to the tips and tricks they provide, everyone at the clinic comes out a better paddler.
One of our instructors, Keone lives on the Island of Kauai. Paddling is a lifestyle to Keone and his family. He is head coach for Pu’uwai Outrigger Canoe Club in Wailua, Race Coordinator for Kauai Hoe Wa’a and assistant coach for Kapa’a High School Paddling Team. He is also a rep for Kai Wa’a Ocean Canoes.
He started paddling at the age of 16 in the San Francisco Bay Area. “This was a way to keep us local kids from Hawaii connected to our culture being so far away from Hawaii and to keep us off the streets.”
Through paddling he has been able to paddle ,learn and work with so many good Paddlers. Kai Bartlett, Luke Evslin, Steve Cole , Pat Dolan, Charlie Banfield and Kawika Goodale to name a few.
He has crossed the Channel over 27 times on an Oc1 , Oc6 and Sailing Canoe he has done it solo, iron and 9man. His top 5 favorite races are The Pailolo Channel, Pa’a Koa Nui, The Liberty Challenge, Napali Challenge and Kauai World Challenge. Keone looks forward to doing more traveling and paddling.
What he loves most about paddling is downhill surf runs. There’s nothing like getting out in the ocean an trying to figure out how to become one with her. He also loves traveling and meeting new people from around the world that also share the love of Hawaiian Outrigger Canoe paddling.
Kekoa started paddling at the age of 8 in 2000. He’s an ambassador for Kamanu Composites, Kialoa paddles, Allday clothing, Ohana athletics, and Kaenon sunglasses. Some of Kekoa’s accomplishments are:
- 1st place jr. molokai to o’ahu solo world championships(2010)
- 10th place Moloka’i to O’ahu Solo world championship(2016) (open division)
- 5th place Moloka’i Hoe(2016)
- 10th overall Hawaiki Nui in Tahiti (2016)
- 1st place Pailolo Iron Unlimited(2017)
- 1st place Sydney Harbor challenge (2018)
- Current top 5 paddler on the Big Island
Kekoa’s favorite tip: Consistency is the #1 factor in this sport! No champion in paddling just steps off the couch and wins. Well planned hard work, focus, and consistency will prevail.
Laola is very active in the competitive scene in OC1, OC2, and SUP. Her water experience has been a lifelong relationship with the ocean that started with surfing at age of five. Laola is on the Kauai Lifeguard Association board and her forté and passion is teaching OC1/OC2 and SUP with special emphasis on safety above all. Laola was just awarded the YWCA for her contribution to water sports and water safety, a yearly award given to women who have made a difference in their community.
Her accomplishments are:
- 2 x Hawaii State surfing champion.
- United States Amateur surfing champion and also winner in tandem division.
- 5 x State champion in OC6 novice, freshman, junior, then senior.
- Competed in the NaPali SUP solo race (17 miles) for the last 5 years winning her age group.
- Na Pali OC6 masters division winner (several times).
- Na Wahine o ke kai Molokai channel-masters winners 4 years in a row.
- Sailing canoe – gone across the island chains starting from the Big Island in either a 4 man or 6 man including the longest channel which goes from Oahu to Kauai.
- Laola and her husband won the 2010 Molokai Solo OC2 division.
- Laola has also been a Molokai channel coach for over the last 10 years coaching OC6 teams, SUP paddlers, and paddle boarders.
Steve lives and plays in Kauai, paddling Outrigger, Surfski, and SUP. Johnny Pukea has worked with Steve, coaching Hawaii canoe & kayak along with Billy Whitford President of Newport Aquatic center. Steve has traveled a lot coaching outrigger and kayak and has placed with the top runners in the prestigious Kanaka ikaika Molokai to Oahu kayak races along with many other races. He has also been coached by Oscar Chalupski.
We are fortunate to have him keen to share his paddling experience and knowledge. Check out his innovative hydration system at Kolegear.
Some of his accomplishments:
- Paddled outrigger canoes competitively for 42 years.
- Member of Team Hawaii.
- Raced the Molokai Channel over 50 times with wins in the OC-1 division, plus several age group division wins at Molokai Hoe.
- Lanikai Canoe Club head coach for 2 years, traveling with teams to Tahiti Fete and other international races.
- Hawaii Canoe and Kayak Head Coach for 4 years, traveling to many National events on the mainland.
- Headed canoe clinics in Australia, Canary Islands, England, Oahu, and Kauai.
- Namolokama Canoe Club coach for men and women coach for over 10 years.
- Paddling ambassador for the State of Hawaii to New York, Pacific North West, California and Australia.
- Competed in IVF World Sprints: Tahiti, New Zealand, Fiji, and throughout Asia.